jueves, 10 de junio de 2010

Cover Letter

Dear Dr. XXX

We are submitting our paper entitled: “Chronic intermittent prenatal stress alters sexual development in male rats” for review in Written and oral English journal. The authors of this article are the following Jonathan Martínez, XX and XXN. This manuscript has been read and approved by all authors.

Briefly, several reports has shown that any alteration in the gestational period, like stress, endocrine disruptors, smoke or alcohol, can alter the correct development of a fetus, with repercussion in their adult life. Since stress is a common problem of our modern society, we proposed that this type of injury may affect the correct function of the reproductive tract. The aim of this study was to evaluate the adrenal-gonadal function in male offsprings of stressed rats along the gestational period. Our results suggest that chronic prenatal stress produces an alteration in the adrenal-gonadal axis in the offspring of stressed rats, that may modify the reproductive capacity in the adult life. This is a useful information that must be considered in the public politics of maternal leave or benefit to avoid reproductive problems in our society.


The information of this paper has not been submitted for publication elsewhere. I would be pleased to give you any further information that you might request.

Sincerely yours


Jonathan Martínez
PhD student at the Pharmaceutical and Chemistry Faculty
University of Chile
jmartinp@ciq.uchile.cl
56-02-9782981

2 comentarios:

  1. Hello Jonathan,

    Here are some minor suggestions to improve your letter.

    1. I would delete the word "briefly". Also, instead of "reports" I would use the word "studies" or "articles" because I assume it´s not only reports that HAVE shown that alterations in the gestational period......

    2. I would delete the word "any" and also all the examples that you give, except STRESS which is the focus of your study. So, I would say "Several studies have shown that alterations in the gestational period, including STRESS,...."


    3. Instead of CAN alter, I would say MAY.

    4. "Correct development"??? Sounds strange, say "development" only or "normal".

    5. A fetus.....Their???? Singular or plural?.

    6. Can you use IMPACT instead of repercussion?

    7. I suppose everybody knows that stress is "a common problem of our modern society", so I would erase this.

    8. The next sentence "we proposed that this type of injury may affect the correct function of the reproductive tract" needs rewriting. It doesn't have any clear relation with the previous sentence or idea. For example: ""We PROPOSE/SUGGEST (use present tense) that stress?? may affect the normal function of the reproductive tract".

    9. Change the order in the following sentence "in the adrenal-gonadal axis in the offspring of stressed rats" by "of stressed rats' offsprings".

    10. Erase THE in "the adult life". Delete "a" in "a useful information". Information is uncountable.

    11. Change MUST by SHOULD (it´s more appropriate and polite).

    12. Public policies about maternal leave???

    13. Erase the last sentence "I would be pleased..."

    14. Finally, refer to conflict of interests...

    Hope these suggestions help.
    See you Friday,
    Claudia

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Jonathan:

    I wanted to comment, but I really think Claudia told you almost everything...at least as I can see.
    The only comment is in relation to the content. I think you should write your main finding explicitly, because you just wrote: "Our results suggest that..." but you have not told exactly which were your results. I understood that the main result must be included in the cover letter.

    Bye!

    ResponderEliminar